Wednesday 21 March 2012

Spicy Tomato Sauciness

This summer I have made 4... no, 5 batches of this brilliant spicy tomato sauce. As I have declared to all and sundry, my girls absolutely love love love its homemade tomatoey goodness, made more gorgeous by the fact that we have used our homegrown tomatoes, onions and garlic. G went crazy with his tomato plantings this year and we had the best crop ever!

The recipe came to me from the lovely Leonie, and it came to her from one of her friends. I have tweaked the recipe to suit our tastes; still spicy but not too hot for the little people to tolerate, with no way near the salt level originally recommended!


Leonie's Spicy Tomato Sauce

Makes 7 - 8 medium size jars

4 kg tomatoes
1 kg sugar
60 g salt
1200 ml apple cider vinegar
60 g whole black peppercorns )
15 g cloves                               ) place peppers and cloves together in a cloth bag
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper - more, if you like the heat
750 g onions
1 clump garlic

Cut tomatoes, garlic and onion into slices.
Put all ingredients, including the spice filled cloth bag, into a pan and simmer 3 - 4 hours.
Rub through a sieve or blitz with a stick blender. (I blitz!)
Bottle in sterilised jars.
This lasts for over a year if properly bottled.

Edit to add: Don't forget to remove the cloth bag and squeeze out the spicy juices before blitzing the mix. I know, I know; it seems obvious, but......

This sauce is also a great pizza sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
We go through a bottle a week. At least.



Have fun!

Sam xx

No comments:

Post a Comment